Friday, May 27, 2022

Palm Beach

 

Today, I got up a few hours before dawn and made the 4-hour drive from Gainesville to Palm Beach.  Arriving at Sailfish Marina, I immediately got a glimpse of the two GH47s that are along for this adventure.  Pipe Dream and Mother Ocean look amazing docked side by side.  Both are VERY ready for the trip.  Chutay is docked along the seawall by the Tiki Bar with The Office about 8 miles away at Old Port Cove Marina, and At Last anchored up just south of Peanut Island.

The day was spent by all crews getting COVID tests, applying for Bahamian Health Visas and obtaining online cruising permits.  Everyone agrees that the Bahamian Health Visa and Cruising Permit sites are the least intuitive and most confusing sites EVER!  But I think everyone is ready.

This evening, the Sailfish Marina crews all hopped into my truck for the short ride to Johnny Longboat's for a very filling dinner and a few coldies.

The forecast has changed slightly with a bit more wind than initially indicated, but still out of the south, and still within our comfort parameters.  So we are a go for 4AM departure.  That should put us onto the Little Bahama Bank at Memory Rock shortly before lunchtime. From there, another six or seven hours should get everyone safely to the Great Sale Cay anchorage well before dark.  Not much partying tomorrow night.  We'll all be exhausted - and will save the festivities for arrival at Spanish Cay on Sunday.

So stay tuned.  We're finally heading for the Abacos!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final thoughts on a great trip

I arrived home in Gainesville last night about 8:30pm.  On the ride home I kept thinking about everything that has happened over the past tw...