I arrived home in Gainesville last night about 8:30pm. On the ride home I kept thinking about everything that has happened over the past two weeks. Even though I have done many Gulfstream crossings and spent a LOT of time cruising the Abacos during the seven year period that Mirage had a charter fleet based out of Marsh Harbour, I had not been back there in almost ten years. So even thought I knew WHERE to go, I really didn't have a great idea of WHAT to expect.
First of all, I am amazed by how well the entire Great Harbour group "gelled". I mean, even though we all have the love Great Harbours and cruising in common, this was a group of 13 folks with very diverse backgrounds - and most of us only knew each other peripherally or through the GHTA.
If you have been following this blog, you know that every boat crew had a challenge or two thrown its way. But the entire group rallied around when necessary and we never had to leave anyone to figure things out for themselves. Additionally, everyone endured weather delays, difficult docking conditions, and mechanical problems with good humor and grace. I do not think there was a cross word between any of the participants. Everyone seemed to truly enjoy everyone else's company and sharing the joy of cruising the islands. I could not have hand-picked a better bunch of folks to share this adventure with.
However, I especially want to thank Jan & Dennis Taylor for allowing me to live aboard their gorgeous GH47, Mother Ocean, for the past two weeks. They were the consummate hosts and were always gracious, fun to be with, and generous to a fault. I owe you guys. Big time.
As far as the itinerary went, I think I hit that one pretty well. Other than a few long days to get there and to come back, most of our day cruises were short and easy. I mentioned early on to the crews that it was a very marina- and restaurant- intensive itinerary. This was because I wanted everyone to get a sample of what was available at each island we visited. My guess is that each of these crews now have the confidence to come back on their own - spend more time, and truly experience the REST of the Abacos. I mean, we never even touched on the many coves and anchorages that are available to explore. On top of that, we didn't have time to linger and enjoy any fishing, snorkeling, or beach combing.
In September of 2019, most of the Abacos were basically leveled by Hurricane Dorian. The always resilient Abaconians immediately began digging out of the rubble in order to lure back the American tourists whose dollars would fund the recovery. A few short months later they were dealt the blow of a worldwide pandemic which pretty much wiped out tourism for two years.
Understandably, recovery in some areas has been slow. I mean, construction and progress is always a bit more "laid-back" in the islands, but places like Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay are still reeling as they attempt to get back on their feet. The only thing that will speed that reconstruction is tourism. From that standpoint, it makes me proud that our little group was able to spend a few weeks enjoying the Abacos and, most importantly, pumping a bit of money into the local economy.
Every single Abaconian we came in contact with, from marina staff, to waiters, to customs agents were gracious, cheerful, and genuinely happy to have us there. I was lucky enough to reconnect with several old friends and I am anxious to go back again. I am sure the rest of the group feels the same way.
So, to Dennis & Jan aboard Mother Ocean, Bill & Betsy on Pipe Dream II, Cedric & Julie on The Office II, Lee & Karen aboard At Last, Mark & Cathy on Midnight Blue, and Drew & Joe on Chutay (the "Bro Boat"), I want to offer my heartfelt thanks. You guys were a blast. Let's do it again soon.
ISLAND ERIC
No comments:
Post a Comment